Update - attitude to marriage

From time-to-time I have expressed varying views on the idea of getting married. My biggest concern is that after I marry my fiance I will share the same name as a certain UK popstar who recently took part in the dangerous Channel 4 show, The Jump. That has caused hours of hilarity in the office at my expense. Then don't even get me started on the connotations of taking the man's surname. We have been through this before.

There is still a part of me that thinks traditional marriage is all part of the medieval plans to strengthen alliances and gain power. An act from a time when women were the property of their father until marriage when they became the property of their husband. Modern marriage is a very different beast.

For a start, neither myself nor my fiance are religious. This means no church wedding. We know his mum would probably prefer a church wedding but it is just not something we believe in and we would feel like hypocrites. We have gone for a civil ceremony and there are not allowed to be any religious elements to it at all.

Even the vows are not religious. Actually, they aren't even vows. Basically they are a declaration where you state there is no legal reason to not marry.

My Mum was actually surprised we had so many options for the ceremony. When she married my Dad at a register office they had to make a legal declaration, sign the register and were out in 10 minutes. Today there are more elements of a full wedding ceremony. As civil weddings became more popular some of the nice elements also followed. Things like readings and vows said over rings but with no religion involved have led to a new type of ceremony which is more of an event. Basically people wanted the day without the religion.

I think there are other things to worry about now. As I mentioned, I will share my name with a well known UK popstar. This doesn't bother me in the day-to-day life but social medial could be an issue. It is so tempting to keep my old name for these things.

Overall I am very excited to get married now it is all happening. and I am really enjoying arranging everything. Roll on October and our wedding day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First time buyer - timeline and advice

Why we need International Women's Day

My favourite...Japanese actors and actresses