Aiden - the final show (Southampton)

Sorry it has actually been a couple of weeks since I went to the show at The Joiners in Southampton to see Aiden for the final time. I guess it kind of took me that long to process what I experienced that night.

I have been a fan of Aiden for as long as I can remember and it was too good an opportunity to miss to see them in one of my favourite venues for the final time. I remember being one of those kids who went out and bought Nightmare Anatomy 10 years ago and listened to it on the way to and from Uni in my car. I remember how I felt when I went to Download and saw them play the main stage in the middle of the day and how well they handled the whole thing. The metal heads of the crowd were not quite sure how to handle these gothy rockers singing about life and love and it was really interesting to see them win large sections of the crowd round during the set.

So it was announced recently that Aiden would be put to bed. Not before an epic tour of the US and UK to say goodbye though. Front man Wil Francis (aka William Control) seems to love coming to The Joiners. I have seen him play there as William Control so many times I have almost lost count (and you all know I love Fearless Vampire Killers, well, they were main support for him four years ago when I saw him there).

Piling in to the venue I could feel the excitement grow for me and the people around me as the support bands played. I just want to say that all the support bands were excellent that night and should be commended for playing their parts in making it such a great show (especially Adam Crilly from Ashestoangels who worked so hard to make the tour happen in the UK).

As the band took to the stage everyone in the room felt the years fall away. Not content with playing a couple of their greatest hits Wil led the room through the entirety of Nightmare Anatomy. A fantastic way to say goodbye to Aiden forever in the 10th anniversary year of such a great record. The room was singing along to every song, there were mosh pits, circle pits and bouncing everywhere you looked. This is a venue that holds something like 200 people tops and it felt like a much bigger venue with the atmosphere there.

Even the band agreed that the show topped the one the night before (I won't name and shame in case people attending are reading).

It was amazing to see such a diverse range of people in the audience. There were people around my age who, like me, grew through our 20's together listening to Aiden and loving Nightmare Anatomy in particular and there were friends of mine there who were about the same age I was when I discovered Aiden all those years ago! It was fantastic to see and be among people like that.

I have to say that it was one of the best shows I have been to in a long time and I was so happy to be a part of the farewell. Thank you Aiden for all the songs and memories. Although I will not get a chance to see them live again, the music lives on and that is what I am most excited for.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First time buyer - timeline and advice

Why we need International Women's Day

My favourite...Japanese actors and actresses