ONE OK ROCK Live - O2 Forum Kentish Town

Initially this show was an uncertainty. ONE OK ROCK (yes it is spelled out in capitals) were being supported by We Came As Romans and DEAD! (yes, that is how they do their name too) at O2 Shepherd's Bush Empire on Thursday 10 December. Unfortunately, the week before, the venue decided it was the best time to start collapsing.

Fear not though, the gig was saved! Luckily the Academy group owns a lot of venues and the O2 Forum Kentish Town stepped up. The gig had to be pushed forward by 24 hours because of clashes otherwise, but still the gig did go ahead! All tickets previously sold were honoured and a good time was to be had by all.

DEAD!

I have seen this band countless times. The first time I did was at The Joiners in Southampton and they were opening for William Control. This was about three and a half years ago now and I think they had only been together around three or four months. I think almost every member of the band had an injury at the time and there seemed to be issues with the sound and all sorts. I even think a drum stall was broken. Anyway, they still played an amazing set and I knew that this little local band would grow into something amazing.

Since then I have seen them at all sorts of small venues and the biggest and craziest crowd was possibly Takedown Festival earlier this year. I was so proud when I found out they would be opening for one of the biggest bands from Japan (earlier this year OOR played two back-to-back stadium shows that had 60,000 in attendance for each show)!

Their set was what I have come to know and love. A wild, energetic pop/punk/rock party. Their sound and style translated so well in such a large venue (way bigger than any I've seen them play before) and it was with a sense of pride that I watched them that night.

I was let in to the venue after they had already played a couple of songs so I don't know if they played any of the older songs, but the newer ones were just as amazing and fun to see and hear.

We Came As Romans

I have to admit that I didn't know a lot about this band before I went to see them but I had heard good things and I was totally willing to give them a listen.

Another amazing party band. You can get up and jump around like a mad fool to this. The band were energetic as well and very gracious to everyone. I was pleasantly surprised by this band as I was totally unsure what to expect. They put me in mind of bands like Linkin Park but at the same time it was fresh and fun and I really enjoyed their set. It felt like it was over all too soon but, of course, the best was still to come.

ONE OK ROCK

I have waited for so long to see this band! I was so excited when I found out they were coming to the UK. Weirdly, the day the tour was announced I was talking to my fiance about this band and said that if they ever came over for a headline tour, and they were playing close enough, we would totally have to go to see this band. Lucky for me they announced a London date that day! I consider that to be close enough.

I was so scared that they wouldn't be able to play London when I heard the news about Shepherd's Bush. I totally understood the need for safety but after all I have been through this year I was waiting for this one show to finally end the year on a high. The thought of not seeing them was torture. Then, the announcement was made that they would play a day earlier in a different venue and order was restored to my universe.

The things I had heard about them as a live band were all positive but nothing could have prepared me for just how amazing they are live. As a group of musicians they are so tight and so accomplished. You could focus on any one of the instruments as not one was drowned out by the other and the competency level of this band is incredible. Then there is Taka's voice.

I am not going to lie to you, I am a total Taka fangirl. I was before the gig and the only thing this show proved was that I could come away with a bigger crush on the guy than I had before. It isn't just looks (although he is a good looking lad and that doesn't hurt) his voice is beautiful. He has a perfect voice for the sort of rock music they produce and yet it isn't all growling and rasping, it is sweet and higher than one might expect would work for this sound.

The highlight has to be the performance of Heartache. This is a song off of their most recently released album, 35XXXV. This is the album that has a Japanese version and an all English version but it was the Japanese version of this song that Taka chose to sing (as he has done all tour in the States and the previous Russian, Irish and British dates). The song is a ballad anyway but performed live it is stripped down and gorgeous. On the night I saw this song performed the beautiful moment was when the whole audience began singing in Japanese. There were quite a few Japanese people in the audience (shout out to one Japanese guy in particular who said he liked my singing and then told my fiance that he was sorry and wasn't trying to hit on me...honest...he didn't know at the time I was taken). But, back to it. There were still more English speakers in the crowd than Japanese and the whole atmosphere was beautiful. Thousands of voices rising up in Japanese along with the angelic voice of Taka. It sent chills (of a good kind) up and down my spine.

I will be honest that I was expecting more of the songs to be sung in Japanese than English and there were some, like Mighty Long Fall, that I wanted to hear in Japanese, but at the same time I understand that Taka wants to make them more accessible to the English speaking masses in the West and that is what he was trying to do. It certainly doesn't take anything away from the quality or sound of the song and, when Taka is singing, who could complain on the language he chooses to sing in?

It is true that I have been to so many gigs now that I don't even remember the number. I am not sure I even remember all the gigs I have ever been to, but it sure is a lot. Whatever the numbers, I am proud to say I was at this gig. The ONE OK ROCK show stands out as one of the absolute best gigs I have ever been to. I have found not only my new favourite band in this band but also one of my new favourite live bands. Every time they come to the UK I will go to at least one of their shows. It is totally worth it and I would recommend that anyone reading this check them out immediately! Huge they may be in Japan but they will only grow in popularity here too. I can see them play the O2 Arena or Wembley Arena soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First time buyer - timeline and advice

Why we need International Women's Day

My favourite...Japanese actors and actresses