Not in my name

I am in an awkward position in that I didn't vote for my MP (not living in the constituency at the time of the election) and I didn't vote for my previous constituency MP either. They both voted for bombing in Syria.

I did vote for Jeremy Corbyn to be leader of the Labour Party though and I totally agree with his stance and everything he has said about airstrikes there. Corbyn is totally against the airstrikes and would like a diplomatic end to the troubles with Daesh.

Daesh (formerly known as ISIS, but we aren't calling them that any more) is a mentality rather than a geographical area. People will be radicalised wherever they are and bombing this one small part of the Middle East is not going to solve that problem.

The fact is that innocent people will be put in harm's way. The most obvious is the people of Syria who will be caught up in this. How can we know we are not bombing civilians? Then there is Britain. Paris became a target after France joined in the airstrikes a few months ago. Where does that leave the security of Britain?

There were years of battle where our armed forces sacrificed so much in Afghanistan and Iraq, are we really going to do this again and put them through this again?

The public is very against the airstrikes and many people are taking to social media to say that the vote last night was not done in their name. I agree with this. It was not done in mine either.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First time buyer - timeline and advice

Why we need International Women's Day

My favourite...Japanese actors and actresses