Biggest decision for a generation

Today we get to make the biggest decision for a generation. I have heard a lot from both sides but I knew before this all began that I would be voting remain.

For me it is simple. I want to ensure that my future is secure. Actually I want to ensure that when I have children their future is secure. Also, through the music scene I am involved with I get to meet people of all ages and there are people slightly too young to vote who will be affected by this and they are good people so I am voting remain for them.

I want to see a country that has a strong economic future with trade links to some amazing countries is Europe. I want free travel, the right to work where I want, the human rights I have lived my life with, the equality/diversity, the environmental stuff and all the other wonders that come with being part of the EU. I have been through it all before though so I will not go into detail about the stuff that will affect the whole country.

Instead I will reflect on my personal and somewhat selfish reasons for staying as part of the EU.

I want to keep my job
I work for a major research university that relies somewhat on EU funding. I would like that to continue please. If we lose that research money there will be less people for me to support in an admin role and therefore I will lose my job. This has nasty implications for me keeping my house and I like my house. Therefore I will vote remain.

I like going on holiday
Well ok I hate flying but I am fine when I am there. One of my favourite places on Earth is Port D'Alcudia in Mallorca and I would like to go there without having to get a visa or do that standing in the non-EU line at the airport to have my documents checked. It takes forever by the look of it and I don't want to go through all that every time.

I see myself as European
I am one of those people that sees themselves as European. Being 'British' or 'English' is just a bit of fun when there is a sporting event on. Like the Euro 2016 championships at the moment. I mostly support England and Wales (being part Welsh and that) but I am proud of all the home nations (sorry Scotland) and actually enjoy watching Spain and Italy and France and Germany...the point is I support England (and Wales) because it is a bit of fun and there can be banter in my multi-cultural office. Really I don't care all that much about national identity, I am more concerned with safety in numbers and I am proud to live in a Europe that is connected and multi-cultural.

I am so fed up with this island mentality of the little englander and I wish people would see Britain as being part of a bigger whole. I know a lot of it comes from the right wing press and it saddens me to see the belief in the lies that spread out from their so called papers. I will lose a lot of friends over this post but to be honest, if you are so closed minded about the EU (and by extension the rest of the world) I don't want you in my life. We have too much to lose and I have too much at stake personally. I want my children to grow up in a world of love and peace. I want them to see a world that works together to make it a better place despite cultural differences. There is a bright future out there and I want to live to see some of it and know that I am leaving the world a better place for the next generation. I am not all that old myself and I hope to share in that bright future. For those of you that are older remember, this isn't about you, it is about your children and their children.

Final word for those undecided, don't vote leave. If you vote leave and we do come out of the EU we can't get back in. If we do all the remaining member states have to approve us and if one says no then we can't re-enter. Not only that but we have a pretty sweet deal with power of veto and all sorts and we will lose all that if we leave. Also, you know those human rights? We actually came up with them and the rest of Europe adopted them so don't believe what you read about them being forced on us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First time buyer - timeline and advice

Why we need International Women's Day

My favourite...Japanese actors and actresses