Daily comment: There may be trouble ahead

Cuts in the education maintenance allowance (EMA) are being blamed for students quitting college or not going at all after GCSEs.  The idea of the EMA was to allow students to pay for travel to college and buy books, etc.  It was an incentive to learn and would help the poorest people.  I remember when I was at college talking to people on the EMA and they told me they would not be able to go to college without it.  It was a lifeline to them.

20 NHS trusts have been named as 'vulnerable' by the Health Secretary, Andrew Lansley.  This includes Winchester and Eastleigh, which are my local trusts.  This is a scary prospect that they face cuts.  The NHS is something that we should be putting more into, not letting it fail.  Use the #SaveTheNHS on Twitter to make this heard.

Unemployment is at its highest level for 17 years!  It currently stands at 2.57 million.  Gideon needs to get the economy on track to create jobs for these people.  Labour said this shows that the Tory policies are: 'hurting, but not working.'  I know there will be those people out there that will try and tell me that all this started under Labour.  Yup, ok, the economic crisis hit in 2008 when Labour were in power.  I think what you need to remember is that this was global and was the product of a failing banking system.  It would have been the same whoever was in power.  Now the Tories are in it is up to them to create jobs and strengthen the economy.  They appear to have no clue at the moment.

Finally the daily Foxy update.  On the night he was burgled Foxy had a drink in the local pub with a 'younger man' who was not Adam Werritty.  Now I am not saying anything, but I have made my mind up over that one... ;-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First time buyer - timeline and advice

Why we need International Women's Day

My favourite...Japanese actors and actresses