Remember

I was horrified when I was in my first year of university and I was told to argue against Rememberance services. The idea was that my side should say that it had been nearly 100 years and we would only repeat the mistakes if we remember.

I refused to do that and asked to switch to a different group. The reason for me is that the information I was given and the instructions I was given were not good enough for me to want to argue that point.

To me rememberance is about those who made the ultimate sacrifice in the Great War and WWII. It is about remembering those who have done the same in global conflicts since. This is why I choose to wear a poppy each year, take part in rememberance services and give to the Royal British Legion every month.

I have mentioned before that my Grandad benefitted from the help of the Legion. His story was incredible. He was conscripted in WWII and worked in logistics. All of his brothers were also in the army and his youngest brother died at the age of 18 while on active duty. After the war he stayed on in the army and was posted to Greece during the civil war. He was taken hostage and spent around 6 months captive before being released at the end of the war. He struggled with civilian life when he returned to it and this stayed with him for the rest of his life and this is where the Legion came in and helped.

Not only that but my other Grandad fought in Korea during his national service. What a place to be posted!

This is why I remember. I know I am lucky that both of my Grandads survived and I know they both live/lived with horrible things that they experienced. It is important to remember what those things were and how people had to live with them.

There has been so much given, lives and mental health and physical health, in the name of Queen and Country and it is important that we remember this. So I will never argue against rememberance. I don't say everyone should have to wear a poppy but everyone should take the time to give thanks and remember.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First time buyer - timeline and advice

Why we need International Women's Day

My favourite...Japanese actors and actresses