Never self diagnose

Admit it, how many of us have done this? You have an ache or pain or you struggle to breathe one day and you Google your symptoms. The trouble is that if you do that some symptoms can be for more than one illness. For example, if you have a tight feeling in your chest and you have recently been ill it could be a chest infection or asthma or anything really. There is no way of telling unless you visit a doctor.

Now, I am just as guilty of doing this as anyone else. I come from a long line of hypochondriacs and we are all dying of something all the time (according to us at least). In the last couple of weeks I have been genuinely ill. I have had a stomach bug and I have lost my appetite. Ok, so it is coming back now, but it was a horrible thing and I am not the only person to have had it in recent weeks. The trouble is that I have had other things wrong as part of it. I haven't been able to catch my breath and I have had dizzy spells. Don't worry, I have now been to the doctor and been given an inhaler and I am doing so much better, but before my appointment I made the big mistake of trying to self-diagnose by Googling my symptoms.

In the past week, since I have Googled my symptoms, I have had lung cancer, asthma, chest infection, anxiety and so many more illnesses. The reality is that I probably have been anxious over my health and this was suggested by the doctor.

There are some amazing things about the internet but one of the worst is the ability to Google what is 'wrong' with you. There are countless forums about health out there too. People explain what is wrong with them and others leave comments about it. The problem here is that those who respond are not medical professionals and some are internet trolls who are just out to scare people. A lot of the responses are along the lines of: 'oh that is definitely cancer' and there is no more to it. This is terrible because a lot of people just don't seek the medical help they probably need. A professional would be able to say what is really wrong and would tell someone that it is easily treatable or that there is actually nothing wrong with them.

Why do people go and search for their symptoms online? Why do they join these forums? I think one reason is that people are scared that if they go to the doctors that they will be told that it is something very serious. This could be true in a very small number of cases. This being the case people should actually go to the doctor just to rule stuff out. That in itself can make you feel better as people respond positively to being told they are not actually dying. The other reason people go online I think is connected to countries that don't have a free health care system.

Take the USA for example. They do not have free health care and have a system of health insurance. Not everyone can afford this and so people do not go to see their doctor. If they go on a forum or symptom website they are hoping they can get the answers for free and then they will be able to self-treat if possible. This is worrying as people should have the right to health care free at the point of access. I feel very sad for people in this position who feel they have no other option than to find the answers out online.

I have told my fiancé to ban me from searching for my symptoms online. If he thinks I have been doing that he is to take my phone away from me and ban me from the internet for a day. Yes, this time I have been diagnosed with possible asthma and been given an inhaler to try for a temporary period of time, but part of my problem was the anxiety caused by Googling my symptoms. Do not try to do that at home, it will leave you ill in the head and not in actuality.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First time buyer - timeline and advice

Why we need International Women's Day

My favourite...Japanese actors and actresses