The common cold

The common cold has struck again. I used to pick one up all the time and it has been a while for me, over a year in fact. The timing couldn't be worse as I am going wedding dress shopping tomorrow, but hopefully I will be better by then. I have a feeling I will be and I will explain that in a moment.

1. What's the difference between a cold and the flu

There are some similarities between the two but there are ways to tell them apart.

Cold:

  • Runny nose
  • Blocked nose
  • Sore throat
  • Cough
  • Sneezing
Flu:
  • Sudden fever 38c - 40c
  • Muscle aches and pains
  • Sweating
  • Feeling exhausted
  • Dry, chesty cough
Symptoms from NHS.

2. What about unexpected symptoms?

Anything totally unexpected you should go to the doctor with. If you are coughing up blood or coloured mucus then you should go. If you have a rash that doesn't go when you press a glass to it then you need immediate medical attention.

I have a symptom every time I get a cold or the flu which is a heat rash. I get it across my chest, stomach (where my waist band and bra sit) and in the small of my back. It looks like a red blotchy patch in those areas and I normally get it when the other symptoms are starting to get better. I feel really hot when I get it and that lasts about 24 hours. The rash stays with me for a couple of days but once it comes out I usually feel better.

3. How can I treat it at home?

Providing you are not pregnant or don't have an allergy to the ingredients then you should be able to treat the symptoms of colds and flu at home with over the counter medicine. The most common are paracetamol or ibuprofen. I prefer ibuprofen myself as it takes down any inflammation, reduces the fever and takes away any aches and pains.

Other things you can do at home include:
  • Rest - get plenty to recover
  • Drink water - keep hydrated to fight off the virus and cool down
  • Eat - it will give you energy and make you feel better quicker
  • Drink peppermint tea - my favourite thing ever as it cures so much. Can keep you hydrated and cool you down.
  • Take a shower - keeps you clean, makes you less likely to pick up other viruses and it makes you cool down.
Basically we are at the end of cold and flu season now but that doesn't mean you won't get one in the summer. Take it easy and look after yourself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First time buyer - timeline and advice

Why we need International Women's Day

My favourite...Japanese actors and actresses