My favourite things

I thought it was about time I updated my list of favourite things. Here we go:

Author:

Haruki Murakami. I love him so much and I have almost completed my collection of his novels. That will be my aim next pay day and then I will be on to his non-fiction works. I thoroughly recommend you read anything by him to be honest.

Book:

It has to be a Murakami novel to be honest and it is Norwegian Wood. I know that sounds cliche and like everyone would pick that novel because it is the one that made him a household name around the world. It was even adapted into a movie around six years ago and Murakami wasn't too happy about the explosive level of fame it bought him at the time. I love all his novels but this one keeps drawing me back to read it again and again. I can't explain it but it is so beautifully written and it is so easy to read and enjoy.

It is the story of a young man as 1969 turns to 1970 and is a kind of coming of age story. One girl represents his past and one his future and he has to choose between the two of them. It is all set with a backdrop of the student riots in Japan of 1969. I won't say more as you need to read it but it is a gritty and real love story and it is really important that you give it a go.

TV Show:

Recently I have been watching The Night Manager which is based on John le Carre's book and was starring Tom Hiddleston and Hugh Laurie. The whole adaptation was absolutely brilliant. I also like catching up on J-Dramas and other Japanese shows like Kamen Rider Den-o, Princess Princess D, Bloody Monday and Bitter Blood.

Manga:

Finished run: Death Note. It is the one that got me really in to manga in the first place.

Ongoing run: Black Butler. It is getting really good again and I think we are about to find out more about Undertaker and Ciel in this current story arc. It has kept me gripped for months now waiting to see what their real relationship is.

Hollywood (western) films:

Lord of the Rings, Deadpool is a recent favourite of mine, anything from the Marvel cinematic universe (but especially Guardians of the Galaxy), Life of Brian and Withnail and I.

Japanese films:

Rurouni Kenshin trilogy (I love Takeru Sato, he IS Kenshin), Ringu (so not the American remake), Kaiji 1 & 2 (again I love Tatsuya Fujiwara and he is Kaiji to me), Infection, Dark Water, The Grudge (original so much better than the American remake), Battle Royale (my first favourite).

Anime:

Cliché as it might sound I love Death Note and Black Butler (I know everyone does) but also Attack on Titan, Free! (Iwatobi Swim Club and Eternal Summer - but not the American dubbing of the second series), Bakuman, Blue Exorcist and the brilliant Ghost Hunt (which should have been given a second series really).

Bands:

Not a lot has changed here and you can probably guess this list: FVK, SIN, SID, My First Story, ONE OK ROCK, Babymetal and, weirdly, The Beatles.

Cosplay characters:

Madam Red from Black Butler is my favourite of all my cosplays. For some reason I just really feel for her.

For the vlog on this see below:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First time buyer - timeline and advice

Why we need International Women's Day

My favourite...Japanese actors and actresses