The Migraine

Yesterday I had my first ever migraine. I want to start by apologising to anyone who has ever had a migraine. I also thought that it would be 'just a bad headache'...how wrong I was!

I don't know what triggered my migraine but fuck me! I never want to have that experience again. It all started when I drove to Basingstoke to see my friend. It is about a 40 minute drive so not too far but the sun was in and out of clouds and in my direct line of vision for the whole journey. Then we went for a picnic and sat in a field with no shade for about an hour or so. The journey home was the same as the journey there, but just going in the opposite direction. By the time I got home I felt wiped out but thought nothing of it and settled down to watch the tennis (total aside here: Rafa Nadal won the French Open for the 10th time in his career and I am so happy for him).

As the evening wore on I felt like someone had put a rubber band around my head and was twisting it to make it tighter and tighter. I was soon in tears of agony. This was unlike any headache I had been through before as those tend to be just one area of my head and this was more like the whole head. I had a nap and intended it to be half an hour and then woke up two hours later!

That night I was in so much pain I was sick and at this point I want to thank my husband for sitting up with me until it subsided enough for me to sleep. The back rubs totally helped me to calm down and ease the pain in my head.

To anyone else who has never had a migraine, you are so lucky! So was I until yesterday. This is the worst thing I have ever been through and I never want a repeat of it. This is not a headache as it affects you in so many other ways. You feel sick and weak with it too. Even now, a day later, I feel the after effects of it and that is something you do not get with a headache. Never underestimate the power of the migraine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First time buyer - timeline and advice

Why we need International Women's Day

My favourite...Japanese actors and actresses