What a mix - a catch-up

Recently I have got better at vlogging. By that I mean I do it more regularly. That said, as I write this, I have totally forgotten to do my weekly catch-up vlog that I intended to do every Friday. Last week was a bit boring though, but the weekend was not (more of which later)

November has been and interesting month for me. It is really a time of reflection on so many levels. For a start it marked the first month of marriage for me with my husband, Dave. At the time of getting married the day was such a whirlwind (as was the honeymoon after) that I didn't get a chance to sit back and recognise the enormity of what I have done. I feel like this is a very grown up thing. The other thing I have noticed about getting married is that when you change your name you get people look at you in a totally new light. I feel like people treat me more like an adult just because I am Mrs Harding and not Miss Critcher. Like that title change has made me seem more mature and less like a child or something. The day-to-day living with Dave doesn't feel a lot different though as we were already living together. I think that there is an air of happiness as we are both more relaxed now it is all done though.

Not only have I been reflecting on married life, November saw me turn 30. A whole new decade. Aside from the obvious good things in my 20's, of which there were many, there are some things I would like to forget and turning 30 feels like I have put the portcullis down on the previous decade and I can finally leave all the shitty things behind. Of course the good things mostly are things I have done with Dave (getting together with Dave, moving in with Dave, marrying Dave - and everything else we have done), but also things like graduating and getting my jobs. I have also taken the time to look back at my life as a whole so far and it is true that the further away from the past you get the shinier it looks, even the grubby parts.

Again, my birthday week was such a whirlwind I couldn't really keep up with that either. I spent a good chunk of it in London and watched the England vs Spain friendly at Wembley (a last minute decision and the match ended 2-2) and the ATP World Tour Final at the O2 Arena where I got to see Kei Nishikori (I officially love him by the way and I assure you it is all based on his talent as a player and just how nice he is) play Andy Murray (I can say I saw the British and World no.1 on my birthday...and he retained that position by beating Novak Djokovic in the Final) and Stan Wawarinka against Marin Cilic. All in all I didn't take it all in at the time and it was only after that I realised just how flipping cool the experience was.

Then I was back to reality. Last week was normality for the first time in weeks...nay...months! All of a sudden the only thing I have to look forward to is the same as many other people, Christmas. I am excited for the first time in years. Last year my anxiety got in the way and totally ruined my day but this year I am actually looking forward to it so much!

Then this weekend happened and I realised that life is complicated and brilliant and horrifying all at the same time. My brother came to visit and I made a lovely cake and it was civilised and brilliant. Then my car crapped out on me when the battery went flat. We were going to St Mary's for the Saints vs Everton game (Saints won 1-0). We went on the rail replacement service and my Dad went round my house and ate some of my cake in payment for providing us with a charger for the battery (fair payment I feel). Today he will receive more cake for fitting a new battery for me (the old one wouldn't charge). It made me realise how lucky I am to have such a brilliant family around me who is there to help me when I need them. As much as I am a Harding I still feel like a Critcher and it is nice to know that I will always feel like that. It is oddly reassuring. It made me realise that I am lucky enough to have two families, my blood relations and the ones I married in to.

As November ends I am happy to be going into a time of joy over Christmas. I look forward to the future and that is the first time I have ever been able to say that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First time buyer - timeline and advice

Why we need International Women's Day

My favourite...Japanese actors and actresses