Review of things I have enjoyed recently

I thought I would review some of the things I have been passing my time with lately. I have been ill this week and I have been occupying myself with some of the following things and this is what I make of them.

Mario Party 9

This game for the Wii is an interesting combination of levels, minigames and characters. Nothing is too taxing and if you have four players it is a lot of fun. Solo mode is infuriating at times as dice throws seem skewed towards the one 'com' player representing Bowser. The story is fun though as Bowser has stolen the mini stars from the night sky and you have to battle to get them back. It wiles away a few hours and is quite good fun. We bought this second hand a couple of week's ago because we felt like buying one that was compatible with the Wii that was on all the recommended lists and this was the one for the Wii that came out highest (most were for the Gamecube).

Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami

This book is one I keep going back to. Toru Watanabe is transported back to the events in his life of 1969/70 whenever he hears the Beatles' song Norwegian Wood. In this time he was a student in Tokyo shortly following the death of his best friend, Kizuki, and he must choose between two women he loves. Midori (Green) is the vibrant young woman who represents his future and Naoko is the girlfriend of his dead friend and represents his past. Naoko's favourite song is Norwegian Wood and that is the trigger for Watanabe as she has asked that he always remember her. Naoko has never recovered from the death of Kizuki and Watanabe wants to wait for her to get better and return to normal life with him in Tokyo not realising this may never really be possible for her. This puts his life on hold as he is on the cusp of adulthood and having to make choices that affect his future. Midori represents a new life and a future of possibility that Watanabe could find exciting. Ultimately the choice is made for him but I will leave that up to you to read. The whole thing is set to a back drop of the student riots/demonstrations of 1969 which are almost a metaphor for the turbulence and change in Watanabe's life.

This book keeps drawing me back in. Every time I read it I get something new from it and every few months I have another urge to read it.

Sony Xperia Z5 Compact

I could upgrade so I took this one. The Xperia Z5 Compact is the first smart phone I have owned that isn't a Samsung (I had the Galaxy S, SIII and S5) because the latest handsets are too expensive for me. It is still an Android handset so the basic interface is similar. I find this handset smooth, easy to use and, because it is compact, it fits in the hand well. The case is a combination of plastic and metal so feels solid enough. I went for the yellow which makes a nice change to the usual blacks and silvers most smart phones come in.

Miitomo

The first app game from Nintendo. Available on Android and iPhone (no plans for Windows phones). You create a Mii (what Nintendo has always called avatars) who you use to earn coins by answering questions, reading responses of friends and playing mini games (a bit like the Japanese version of pinball called pachinko). Your Mii can visit friends and you earn more by expanding their wardrobe too. Miis are linked to your Facebook and Twitter accounts and that's how you find friends. At time of writing the app has been available in the UK for four days. There are in-app purchases but you can quickly earn coins through play time so it can be a free game if you so choose.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First time buyer - timeline and advice

Why we need International Women's Day

My favourite...Japanese actors and actresses