Living without sugar...sort of

I am attempting to live without too much sugar. There are sugars that are naturally occurring in fruit and as fruit has fibre you can't really cut this out. I also cannot drink tea without sugar as it is gross otherwise. Then there is the question of what to do with birthdays.

So far I am failing spectacularly.

Monday 29 June: start of the no or low sugar week. Did well. Ate some wheatabix and had a salad. Not too shabby. No biscuits either.

Tuesday 30 June: the meeting I was in had biscuits and I ate some. Otherwise I was living off fruit and salad type things.

Wednesday 1 July: another good day really, except it was the hottest day of the year so far and my manager bought us all ice-cream.

Thursday 2 July: a good day finally. I was very well behaved today and only ate my breakfast and lunch without adding sugar. Even avoided biscuits in the evening.

Friday 3 July: good in the sense that I didn't really add sugar until the evening...when Dave gave me a doughnut.

Saturday 4 July: Dave's mum turned 60 today. I was healthy in my food choices all day but there was birthday cake. Luckily there was only a tiny bit given to me.

Sunday 5 July: I went to my Nan's and actually only had a small piece of cake (she is of the generation where you always give guests cake). Otherwise it was all salmon and cucumber sandwiches.

Monday 6 July: actually ate nothing sugar related until a biscuit in the evening. All other things were fish and salad and chicken with tomato (again, natural sugar doesn't count).

Tuesday 7 July: I have so far had a couple of biscuits as I was light headed today (put that down to a sleepless night) and I have had unsalted low fat wholegrain rice cakes with cream cheese and for breakfast was two plain shredded wheat with semi-skimmed milk. I am not sure what dinner will be.

There will be a problem this weekend as we are having a party for Dave's mum (belated birthday as some of the guys were away on a stag do for her actual birthday, but they are back now). As it is a party I can imagine there will be more cake involved.

I am not going to punish myself though. I think a little sugar is fine. The problem starts when you pig down lots of sugary things all day everyday. By thinking about my main meals and cutting down on snacking I seem to be keeping this under control.

I will get better at this and you can't go cold turkey. I will just cut it all down.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First time buyer - timeline and advice

Why we need International Women's Day

My favourite...Japanese actors and actresses