Get it checked

I know from talking to young women my age or a little younger that there is some fear about going to the nurse or doctor for cervical screening. I want to tell you now that it is totally not a big deal. Honestly!

I have just made an appointment for my second ever cervical screening. I actually can't believe that it has been three years since the first one! Wow, time flies! Let me tell you about my experience so you can see it really isn't a problem at all.

Basically you go in to see the nurse (or doctor) for about 5 minutes. Honestly, that is all it takes. I turned 25 three years ago and got my first summons. Basically you get a letter through the post from the NHS with a leaflet that tells you all about the screening process and why it is important. When you are 25 you get the first one and then you go back every three years until you get a little older and then you go back every 5 years (eventually you don't have to go at all).

Once there your nurse will either just do the screening or you might do what they call a 'Well Woman' clinic. Basically they weigh you, measure your height and you do a diabetic test. That is weird in a way because you have to take a pee sample along, but that is alright. You can always do one there if you don't want to bring one or haven't got anything to bring it in.

Also it is cool because they go through your medical history. All to do with freedom of information. That way you know what you have been to the doctors for in the past, etc. That can be quite useful.

Then you do the test. It takes a couple of seconds and really isn't that bad. Remember, the nurse is likely to be a woman and she will have to go through this as well so there is nothing to worry about. Plus, she will do this all the time. There is nothing that will phase her and there is no reason to be embarrassed. I think that most women worry about the embarrassment of it, but really, it is so quick and easy and there is nothing to be embarrassed about.

The nurse will take something that looks like a kind of cotton bud and insert it into the cervix. All she is doing is taking a sample of cells from the cervix and these get sent off for testing to see if there are any abnormalities in the cells. I guess, if you did the cheek cell test in science it is sort of like that idea. You know, you swab the inside of your cheek and look at the cells under a microscope? Well it is sort of like that idea, only your cervix really...oh and you don't get the fun bit of seeing the cells for yourself.

It is all over in seconds and trust me, it doesn't hurt at all. It is kind of hard to explain what it feels like as it is not an area you normally feel. You are aware it is part of you, but it feels like it is disembodied in a way. It is like a kind of gentle rubbing sensation deep inside your pelvis. For me it was very much over to the right, but I guess it could be different for everyone. It isn't painful, it isn't pleasant, it is just...a sensation really.

Once over you are free to go.

Here are a couple of handy tips when you go though. Wear a skirt. You don't have to take it off that way, just lift it up. Makes life soooooo much easier. Also, go prepared with a pad. Some women experience a little bit of bleeding (especially the first one) when they have the screening done. We are talking like a couple of drops, it is nothing really.

Also, you only need to have the test done if you are sexually active. I know it might seem to you that most women are by the time they are 25, but not all are. I had a couple of friends my age who are not and they never had been at that point so they didn't need to go. Don't think that you get to 25 and that is it, you have to go. If you're a virgin you don't have to.

Sometimes it is worth going whatever your sexual activity and some women go earlier than 25. In fact, there is a call for it being pushed to a lower age and I support that. If there is a history of cancer in your family, especially cervical, you could be called earlier or wish to go earlier.

That is the most important thing I would say for any woman though. Forget how embarrassing you think it is. Forget what the sensation might feel like. Forget that there may be a couple of drops of blood afterwards. The best feeling is getting the all clear letter through the post after the test (can take a couple of weeks depending on how busy your local centre is). Catching cancer early prevents the risk of you having to undergo intensive treatment or worse, not being able to treat it at all (best not to think about it). I know that I would rather go and see a nurse that has seen it all before and get it over and done with and know that I am healthy or have caught something early enough than not and end up regretting it. Also, the nurses are lovely and will answer any questions you have, give you all the privacy and time they can and will totally put you at ease. I was joking with my nurse the first time I had it done. Try and see some humour in it and it will relax you right up.

If you need further information on cervical screening then you can visit the NHS pages on it. There is loads of useful information there and it should answer some of your questions. I will put the link at the end of this blog.

The whole point of this was to be open, honest and talk about something quite important. By speaking openly I hope to show that there is nothing to worry about and that you can get through this easy enough. If more women spoke openly about their bodies and procedures like cervical screening the myths and stories would lift and with it the fear of the unknown. Go and get it checked. Trust me, it is totally worth it.

http://www.cancerscreening.nhs.uk/cervical/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First time buyer - timeline and advice

Why we need International Women's Day

My favourite...Japanese actors and actresses