What is GISH?

When I take part in GISH I am often asked what it is. Even after explaining the acronym of ‘Greatest International Scavenger Hunt’ people still just state in confusion and this has led me to also question ‘what is GISH?’. For this I need to search deeply into my own thoughts on the matter.

GISH is both a place and a state of mind. In terms of place it is a creative space where good deeds are done through a series of wild and whacky actions. State of mind varies from moment-to-moment between believing it is the greatest event to take part in ever to wondering what possessed me as it seemed like a good idea at the time to sign up.

Hard work is both rewarding when playing GISH, but also leads to unreasonable pain and suffering as materials run out, sleep is lacking and sugar levels run low. GISH becomes a source of joy coupled with excruciating moments of frustration, embarrassment and self-loathing. Only a masacist would keep putting themselves through this process. Like childbirth, the pain is soon forgotten as I sign up for the next event.

GISH is also a force for good as charities benefit from our hard work and pain. Friendships that last a life time are formed as we come together for a better world. To me, GISH gives me hope as I see all the potential for good in other people. The consequences of our actions are only positive.

Everyone who has ever been described as a ‘weirdo’ has found a home in GISH as our differences are celebrated and those talents and personalities that make us unique are encouraged to shine. Returning to the theme of ‘place’, GISH is a safe space for us to come together as ‘nerds’, ‘geeks’ and ‘freaks’ and use those traits to enrich the lives and experiences of others.

What is GISH? The coming together of weird, wonderful, creative people to create a better world for now and the future.

Words: 334

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First time buyer - timeline and advice

Why we need International Women's Day

My favourite...Japanese actors and actresses