How to dress right

I'm not a fashion expert and anyone who knows me will attest that I am not the most fashionable person but I have picked up some tips and tricks which are really useful. These are things that work for me anyway.

Pick a size bigger

When you are shopping for a dress and find one with a zip up the back you need to go for a size bigger than you normally do. A girl working in a bridal shop told me this applies to any dress for any occasion. Apparently the material is always pulled tighter because of the zip (so nothing to do with body type) and as a result they always come up small. When she told me she also said that they should basically resize everything because that logic doesn't add up but it is true, so there is a tip that is very useful. An example, I am normally a size 16 for top or standard dress size but I need to buy an 18 when there is a zip up the back.

How to prevent chafing

There is a truth that any one of any size, who doesn't have a thigh gap, will know and that is chafing. In the summer (or any time of year really) you want to wear a skirt but your thighs get sore from rubbing together. There are some creams and treatments you can use to avoid this or you can put a physical barrier there. I use control pants that a long in the leg and go over the thigh or I wear short leggings under skirts/dresses. There is something else that I want to try but haven't yet and they are called bandelettes. These are elasticated material that you wear over the area that rubs and they work like hold up stockings but without the rest of the stocking.

Layer for gigs

Most indoor gigs take place during the autumn/winter/spring time (with the summer reserved for outdoor festivals for the most part). It is freezing in the winterish time and you have to queue up outside before the doors open. I see a lot of people bring coats and then not know what to do with them when they get inside the venue. I got around this by layering. I have a vest top with a bra built in which I usually wear under a t-shirt. If it is really cold I will wear a vest top over the top of that too and then the t-shirt. I always wear a hoodie and have black, fingerless gloves. The hoodie can be tied around my waist if I get too hot in the venue. Layering is great because if you put too many on you can always take something off and tie it round your waist or shove a t-shirt in your bag but you will want it again when you go outside.

Be comfortable

End of the day there is no right or wrong way to dress, which is why I haven't done what fashion blogs do and told you what to wear for your body type. It really doesn't matter how you dress because it is up to you to decide what you want to put on your body (or not...nudism rules too!).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First time buyer - timeline and advice

Why we need International Women's Day

My favourite...Japanese actors and actresses