No I am not pregnant...just very ill

For the last four days I have felt very ill.

I am nauseous, light headed, exhausted and really just scared of the whole thing. I have lost track of the number of people who think I am pregnant. It is no longer funny. I have a virus that has been doing the rounds and I have an upset stomach as part of it.

My question is this...why is it that a woman in her late 20's must automatically be pregnant the moment she says she is ill?

Now I admit, I am an adult and I live with my fiancé and we are not exactly 'waiting for marriage' so I can see why people would think that I might be pregnant when I say that I am ill. The thing is that we are incredibly careful. We are certainly not in a position to have children yet and I do not intend to go down that route for a number of years. The fact is that it is a virus that I have and nothing more.

There are some women who would love the thought that they might be pregnant, but there are others who never intend to have children. I do want children eventually, but not yet and so we take all the precautions we can.

Why would anyone jump to the conclusion of pregnancy any way? Everyone gets ill occasionally and I am no exception. In fact, if it is a virus and it is doing the rounds I will catch it, of that you can be absolutely certain. It makes me kind of sad to think that the conclusion everyone jumps to is that of pregnancy, just because I am in the prime age group for having a baby.

Also, it is not a funny thing to joke about. There are some women who want babies and cannot have them. Then there are people like me who, although supported by a loving partner and family, do not feel ready to bring a new life in to the world.

When you feel like crap it is hard to take those jokes the right way as well. For once, can I please just be poorly and have the sympathy I deserve?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First time buyer - timeline and advice

Why we need International Women's Day

My favourite...Japanese actors and actresses