Better Together

Yesterday (18 September 2014) Scotland decided to stay in the Union. This is the outcome that I wanted as I stated at the time that I have a personal passion for the country. I am glad that the majority believed that the UK is better together and that we can work towards a brighter future hand in hand.

What about people who voted ‘Yes’ though, what does this mean for them? Well many will be hoping that they will be able to at least have more powers after this vote. The problem here lies with Westminster though. All new bills will have to be passed in Parliament based in Westminster and it is uncertain how keen the politicians will be to grant the new powers to Scotland.

The main thing with the vote, whichever way it went, was that there will be a divide. Actually there will be a couple of divides. The English will be thinking that there were over 1.5 million Scots who voted for independence and do not want to be a part of the Union. Could this create some ill will between the two nations? Also there is the divide within Scotland. There were plenty of people there who wanted independence and were beaten down with the final result being 45% ‘Yes’ and 55% ‘No’. Will there be bad feeling amongst the Scots who wanted independence and those who did not? What we really need to do here (English and Scots alike) is forget those feelings. The result is what it is and we have to move on together now.


As I say, I am personally very pleased that the Union remains. I would have been terribly sad to break a union of over 300 years. The history, people and culture I would certainly have missed most, so I am thankful that my Scottish friends remain close. The big question is: where do we go next? At least we will be doing it together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First time buyer - timeline and advice

Why we need International Women's Day

My favourite...Japanese actors and actresses