3D Tennis...and other technological joys

The BBC has announced it will show both the finals of Wimbledon on 3D TV for the first time.  As much as I would love to see Nadal in 3D (because believe me I would), I myself do not have a 3D TV so will be watching it on bog standard HD :-P

I think the best comment I saw though was a Sun reader who announced that the advent of 3D TV was over as there was hardly any of it about.  I thought this was fairly amusing as more than anything it made me think about how quickly technology can move on.

I remember back in 2004 we still had only analogue TV in our house.  Where we live signals  for TVs and phones tend to be dreadful.  In fact it was so bad that we couldn't have Channel Five tuned in (not really a bad thing).  Then that year we got Freeview.  I remember that day so well.  We could only get about 10 of the 30 or so channels to work and we had to get a booster arial, but it was still better than the analogue.  Then this year we got FreeSat and an HD TV.  This means we have access to hundreds of channels...but we still only watch a handful of them.  I find that quite funny.  We mostly watch the BBC and Channel Four anyway.  But how quickly has that moved on?

Then I thought about my mobile phones.  I have had four phones now.  The first one I had was the Nokia 3410 (that still works!) and I was 17 years old.  I thought it was so cool with the tiny screen and the original snake on it.  It was even WAP enabled and the text internet thingy was so amazing to me.  Then I got a 6111 that was like a colour version of the 3410 and could take 1 megapixel photos.  This was the bees knees!  When that broke after about 18 months I got one of the Classic Nokia range phones (cannot remember the number) and this had a 5 megapixel camera and access to 3G internet.  Amazing (although the internet was rubbish).  Now (since last October) I have a Galaxy S that goes on the WiFi and 3G, has apps for anything you can imagine and is more powerful than our first home PC!  The main point is that this technology has move on fast.  It was seven years ago that I got my first mobile phone with the basic graphics, etc, now I can watch YouTube videos on my phone!  And my phone is the old version now the Galaxy 2 has come out!

So are we at a stage with technology now where we take it for granted and expect it to move faster than we thought?  After all 3D cinema has been around for donkeys years and has only just made a resurgance, but this has added to our expectations of technology.  There were comments about the new Wii console about how rubbish it will be.  Hang about people, have we forgotten that it was not long ago we were drooling over the 16 bit cartridge games of the Mega Drive and Master System and the Nintendo consoles.

So this Sun reader summed it all up.  We are so spoilt by the pace of technology change that before something is even released we are ready to dismiss it.  Come on people, where is your sense of wonder?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First time buyer - timeline and advice

Why we need International Women's Day

My favourite...Japanese actors and actresses